Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Make Someone's Day!

When someone compliments me, it can make my day! I bet it's that way for you, too. Think back to a time when someone gave you a genuine compliment. Can you feel those warm fuzzies? But wait. Maybe you can't remember the last time you actually received a compliment. I've found there are people all around us who seem to have forgotten how to give compliments. Then again, maybe they never knew how in the first place. Sad, isn't it.

Knowing how good a compliment makes me feel makes me eager to do the same for others. It's my goal to give a compliment to every person I meet, and in fact, I work very hard at this. I'm not telling you this to brag on myself, and I don't want you to think I'm some brown-noser who uses compliments to manipulate people into doing whatever I want. No way! Tat is not what giving a compliment is about. Compliments must be given sincerely, in a spirit of thoughtfulness and caring, from a true desire to make a positive difference in the lives of others. This doesn't come naturally, but with a little effort you can learn how. Start by observing others closely, waiting to catch them doing somethingor being someoneyou sincerely admire. Then, be willing to "expose" your observations to that person.

The best way to give a compliment is to be sure you always back it up with evidence. Here's an example: "You are so great with kids!" (Now most people would stop there, but you need to give some evidence.) "They are so well behaved whenever you are in charge. I think it's because they can tell how much you care about themand I loved the game you taught them to help them wait patiently in line. You are so creative and fun. no wonder kids love you.

You'll be amazed at the results, when you make giving compliments a part of your daily life. So go aheadmake someone's day! Oh, and by the way, the best way to receive a compliment it to simply say, "Thank You!

2003 Professional Development Systems All Rights Reserved

Robert Prentice of Professional Developments Systems has spent the last twenty years bringing inspiration and motivation to business owners as well as their employees. For more information visit his website at http://www.mrattitudespeaks.com

No comments: